Thursday, April 07, 2011

Produce forecast

Moving day is just over a week away! Besides looking forward to more space, more freedom, more projects, and a lower monthly payment than our apartment rent, we can't wait to have a yard! Part of the yard is going to be a garden. Tonight we sent in an order from Gurney's -- they have a special going that if you spend 50 dollars, you get 25 dollars off. Yes please!
We're hoping to grow some normal things like carrots, peas, pumpkins, beans, onions, squash, herbs, strawberries, and rhubarb. (Aunt Jolene is apparently willing to share her rhubarb plant, I hope she knows ab out this.) We're also looking forward to a a few experimental things I never saw in my mom's garden, such as leeks, broccoli, and parsnips. I've never eaten a parsnip, but wikipedia tells me it is more nutritious than a carrot, tastes like butter, and can be steamed, mashed, broiled, boiled, added to soup, fried, or eaten raw.

I use the term "we" loosely. Jon may or may not be looking forward to all this produce. He has actually been trying to establish some ground rules before we even own the dirt to dig a garden. Rules such as, I will cut down and compost all the pea plants when you are not around. He eventually countered with "I will not eat peas and I will not eat squash." We'll see how that turns out. If only our garden could grow blocks of cheese and fettucine noodles, then we would be in for some real money saving!

We can't remember exactly what the backyard looks like or where the sun is, so most of the planning has to wait until we know more. We're still thinking about possibly building raised beds (something like this perhaps) to reduce the jungle and mud atmosphere in the backyard and also reduce the amount of bending over going on. (Body mechanics!)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, Heather. Can I drive over for IN to eat some of that wonderful produce with you? My husband doesn't really eat very many vegetables, so I'm stuck in a cycle of corn, broccoli, and potatoes. Also, I wanted to tell you that I love the music that you put on your blog. I miss you.
    -Sara Sluiter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:19 pm

    I'm excited for your garden, too. And FYI, I have tried broccoli in my garden. Go Green (and other veggie colors!) - Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...