Monday, September 24, 2012

Pumpkin Caramel Bread


There was frost on my car this morning. This means pumpkin season!

I have a small stockpile of pumpkin that I hoarded since last fall that was calling to me from a moving box somewhere in the basement. I think my mother may have given it to me as part of my birthday present last year. I love being born in November.

During the off season when the general public views eating pumpkin pie, pumpkin smoothies, pumpkin bread, pumpkin bars etc as politically incorrect, the pumpkin hoard waited for fall.

I found this recipe online at The Country Cook for Pumpkin bread with a butter/brown sugar glaze. I wanted a recipe that was moist and dense, that you hardly had to butter. I changed a few things, namely doubling the caramel glaze and subbing out half the oil for coconut oil.

Pumpkin Caramel Bread

First mix:
2 eggs
1/3 c. water
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. coconut oil (or use more vegetable oil)
1 15oz. can pumpkin

Then add:
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmet
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 c.  brown sugar
1 3/4 c. flour

Pour into greased loaf pans:
1-1.5 pounder OR 1-1 pounder + 1-mini loaf

I filled the pans about 2/3 full.

Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick comes out clean. My mini was done after about 40 minutes and my 1-lb pan was done at about 55. A 1.5 pound loaf would take about 60-75 minutes.

For caramel glaze: (approx)
4 T butter
4 T brown sugar
4 T milk

Melt in a small saucepan and boil gently for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Poke baked loaves with a fork and slowly pour glaze overtop. It's supposed to seep in. Mine mostly sat on the top, but it turned out as a nice caramel coating. (If you want a seepier-caramel, I suggest checking out the original recipe).

Optional:
Add a layer of chopped pecans on top of the caramel. I was cooking for a no-nut audience so I left this part out.

For more Vroom Kitchen recipes, check out the recipe tab up top!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...