Friday, October 12, 2012

One Month of Less: Day 12: Wash My Hair Less


I used to be an every morning hair washer. When I got my hair done for my wedding, they told me not to wash it the day before. I washed it anyway. Who wants to be stringy and oily on what is supposed to be the prettiest day of your life?

Turns out it's actually healthier for your hair to not wash it so often. When you wash your hair, it strips all the natural oils away. The more you wash it, the more oil it makes... and the more you have to wash it. Also, the more I wash it, the more I blow dry and flat iron it. Hello, split ends.

By switching to washing your hair every other day, and then occasionally every 3rd day, it gives your scalp time to adjust and eventually produce less oil.

Less washing means less damage (so hypothetically I wouldn't need a haircut as often), less product used (less packaging, less money, less chemicals), and less time spent in the shower every morning (less water, and the main motivator: more snooze button).

I've been trying this for awhile, and I think my hair is definitely not as dirty on day 2 or day 3 (or sometimes day 4) as it would have been when I was washing my hair every day. Jon and I share shampoo, and I've had the same bottle in the shower since January. Is that gross? It's a big bottle. I wonder if Jon has stopped washing his hair.

I do cheat all the time and use this dry shampoo:
I spray it mostly on my bangs and my part, and sometimes around my hairline near my ears. Lifesaver.

I have also tried Tresemme's dry shampoo, but it was more expensive and smelled awful. This is less than $4 a bottle. I think I've gone through 4 cans since January. Besides cleaning things up, I love dry shampoo because it give my hair body! At least I choose to believe it is the shampoo and not all the oil in my hair. Either way. Day 2 hair or Day 3 hair is much easier for me to style than just-washed, and I promise I do not look like a stray dog.

I have heard that baby powder will give you a similar effect, but haven't tried that out.

I'm not sure if using dry shampoo tricks your scalp into making less oil or if your scalp will think your hair has been washed, but I am happily sleeping in a little more each morning!

For something more extreme that I am not daring enough to try, check this out: No Shampoo Alternative

For the month of October I'm doing one thing a day that is a step towards a simpler way of living -- less cluttered, less wasteful, less distracted. My goal through this month of less is that by taking a new step every day, I will be able to live in a way that is more organized, more stewardly, more purposeful. Read more about it here, and let me know if you're joining in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...