Tuesday, October 09, 2012

One Month of Less: Day 9: No More Plastic Water Bottles


Today's idea is quitting on bottled water. This water bottle is my new best friend.


Not technically new, but I discovered it at the back of the cabinet recently. And today we are best friends, because I'm committing to not drinking water from a throw-away plastic bottle anymore. Ever.

I never BUY bottled water, because obviously it is the biggest scam since Jacob married the squinty- eyed older sister (whatever her name was). However, occasionally I find myself drinking bottled water at work, at events, or from someone else's fridge.

- One 20oz bottle of water takes 60oz of water to produce.
- 30 billion plastic water bottles are thrown away each year.
- Americans spend $15 billion annually on bottled water.
- It takes 1.5 million barrels of oil a year to make the plastic water bottles Americans use.
- In 2008, the U.S. used enough plastic water bottles to stretch around the Earth more than 190 times.

So quit with me!

For the month of October I'm doing one thing a day that is a step towards a simpler way of living -- less cluttered, less wasteful, less distracted. My goal through this month of less is that by taking a new step every day, I will be able to live in a way that is more organized, more stewardly, more purposeful. Read more about it here, and let me know if you're joining in!

2 comments:

  1. I was a bottled water gal up til the start of this year because I "thought" I didn't like our city water but discovered I was wrong...well sorta. It has to be cold when I drink it not from the tap or it doesn't taste right. I bought one of those fridge dispensers that are long and skinny with a spout and I also bought a container that I just have to suck on and the water comes out I don't even have to unscrew a lid. (seriously, everytime I opened a plastic bottle of water I lost skin off my palms; I even e-mailed the company and told them their lids were hard to unscrew). Anyway, we use to have several trash bags a month to take to recycle day but now we haven't been in months. I do keep some in the spare fridge for company but it rarely gets used either.

    I love reading what you are doing each day and kudos to you for doing what you do. It's really neat. Hope you and Jon are settling into another new chapter in your life and things are going well. Didn't mean to write a book here.☺ Love, Aunt Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm content to stay 99% quit on this one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...