Monday, October 08, 2012

One Month of Less: Day 8: DIY Lavendar Coconut Sugar Scrub


After making my own laundry detergent turned out so successfully, I thought I'd go ahead and try another DIY project in an effort to reduce the amount of chemicals I expose my body to. Not that I particularly need any more products in my my inlaws' shower or bathroom vanity... but I already had the lavendar essential oil. And dry feet. So.

I adapted this recipe from Always Order Dessert, where Alejandra makes her own Lemongrass Sugar Scrub. If you don't want to spoil yourself, spoil someone else.

Lavendar Coconut Sugar Scrub

In a mixing bowl, combine by hand:
3/4 c. Coconut Oil
10-15 drops Lavendar Essential Oil
1 1/2 c. Turbinado sugar (or regular sugar for a finer scrub)

Store in a glass container such as a wide-mouth mason jar with a lid, and keep it in a cool dry place (aka, not the shower). Apparently essential oils will damage plastic, and metal can change the properties of the oil.

Use in the shower by scooping out desired amount with a spoon and massaging into your skin. Rinse with warm water. I did find that I needed to clean my shower more often when I used this regularly... but maybe I should do that anyway.

I ended up storing mine sugar scrub in the empty coconut oil jar and it was very non-photogenic. Jon's exact words were "that looks like bear grease." I don't know what that is... but I don't want to rub it on my body. If you want to display or gift your sugar scrub (or don't want it confused with bear grease), dress it up a little with these cute packaging ideas:

From whole new mom
Maybe with a printable label from theprettyblog.com

When I have a pantry, maybe I'll find an excuse to test these out! She has pre-typed ones and also a blank one where you can type your own label, free for download.

For the month of October I'm doing one thing a day that is a step towards a simpler way of living -- less cluttered, less wasteful, less distracted. My goal through this month of less is that by taking a new step every day, I will be able to live in a way that is more organized, more stewardly, more purposeful. Read more about it here, and let me know if you're joining in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...