Friday, December 07, 2012

Honeycrisp Salad


Source
This salad was supposed to be part of our Thanksgiving menu, but since my family wasn't able to come visit (we were still homeless out here) I still had most of the ingredients sitting around in my refrigerator. I adapted this recipe from this recipe at Oh She Glows.

This is like the healthier, nuttier version of a previous recipe for Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon. It's cold, and one baby step closer to my very grown up goal of actually eating salad. I'm not very brave with leafy green vegetables, so I cut back on those and increased the ingredients that I consider "safe".

With lots of verbal cues, Jon ate 2 bites of this. He takes baby steps a little smaller than I do, and has no intentions of ever eating or liking salad.

Honeycrisp Salad (Makes about 7 cups)

2 Honeycrisp Apples, diced
9 Brussels Sprouts, chopped or shredded
2 Large Carrots, shredded
1 Stalk Celery, diced
6 T Raisins
1/3 c. Sunflower Seeds
1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme
4 T Lemon Juice
2 tsp Maple Syrup
Salt (less than 1/4 tsp. a pinch? 2 pinches?)

1. Use a food processor or knife to shred the brussels sprouts and carrots. For the carrots, a hand-held grater works too.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded brussels sprouts and carrots with apple, celery, sunflower seeds, and raisins.

3. Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent apples from browning. Then add salt and thyme to taste. Add maple syrup to balance the acidity of the lemon juice.

I couldn't get over how crunchy this was! (In a delicious way). Even as leftovers it was still extremely crunchy! I am really not a sunflower seed or raisin person, but I was surprised at how much I liked them in this salad. Let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...