Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Recipe Review: Peach & Pistachio Coconut Ice Cream (Dairy Free)

My in laws were coming for a cookout this past weekend, so I needed a gluten-free dairy-free menu. I found this recipe from A House In the Hills via Pinterest and thought I'd try something similar.

Always experiment on your guests.

Look how beautiful her pictures are!


For this recipe I used:

4 white peaches + extra for toppings
1/4 c. pistachios, chopped
1 can coconut milk
7 Tablespoons of sugar

In a blender, combine the can of coconut milk, 4 chopped peaches, and the sugar. Blend until smooth.

Chill the mixture for 2+ hours in the refrigerator.

Pour into your ice cream maker and follow the instructions to make ice cream. (I'm happy with KitchenAid's ice cream maker attachment). Eat IMMEDIATELY as soft serve! Top with pistachios and additional fresh peaches.

Do you believe I'd never eaten a pistachio? They didn't taste anything like the pudding! I used roasted  and salted pistachios, which were perfect against the sweet ice cream.


The overall results were delicious! I altered a few things from the original recipe and have some serving suggestions:

The white peaches were on sale this week, but you can absolutely use normal peaches too. In fact, using normal peaches would probably give you a prettier color of ice cream.

The leftover ice cream can be stored in a freezer, but the texture will never be the same. Even after sitting out 15-20 minutes, the hard-frozen ice cream was never fluffy again. It broke apart into frozen chunks instead of being light and silky. You really need to eat this right out of the ice cream maker :)

The original recipe called for a 5th peach to be chopped and added to the ice cream liquid, along with the pistachios. I found that this clogged up my ice cream maker. Additionally, if you plan to ignore my first advice and put leftover ice cream for the freezer, you'll end up with frozen peach chunks in your ice cream. I didn't like that. My favorite way to make the ice cream is smooth soft serve, topped with fresh fruit and nuts.

The original recipe called for using succanat sugar ... I just used normal sugar.

The best way to eat this ice cream from the freezer is to blend up a milkshake. Add a little coconut milk and aim for as close to soft serve consistency as you can. I think I'll go make one now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...