Thursday, July 18, 2013

Recipe Review: Snickerdoodles

I have this cooking dream.

In the dream, I am no longer continuously experimenting with Internet recipes (or magazine recipes or even cookbook recipes). I am not scrutinizing photos and trying to decide if food.com or a Mormon stranger's mommy blog seems like a more legit gamble. I am no longer crossing my fingers and hoping I don't embarrass myself serving the "never made this before" version of whatever I am serving, because I have a tried and true recipe that is DELICIOUS and I would not think of altering it.

In the cooking dream, I do not always bring watermelon to the potluck.

Friends, I have come one step closer to the dream. Meet snickerdoodles. Heirloom snickerdoodles if you will.

Best ever. Stop making other snickerdoodle recipes. Save this recipe. Make it every Christmas.

via
Are snickerdoodles a seasonal cookie? I never liked them because they're always puffy and dry. And let's be real, there's not even any chocolate.

THESE snickerdoodles though are thin and chewy and melt in your mouth. The recipe is from Our Best Bites and is going into my recipe box on an actual I'm-keeping-this recipe card.

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
1 T cinnamon
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda

8 T butter (not margarine) at room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 eggs


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  Mix 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl and save for later.  Combine flour, cream of tartar, and baking soda in a bowl. If you are using unsalted butter, add 1/2 tsp salt.


Instructions
Using your stand mixer, beat butter, shortening, and remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3-6 minutes.  Beat in eggs about 30 seconds.
On low speed, slowly add flour mixture until combined, about 30 seconds.
Roll into 2-tablespoon dough balls and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Space 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. They flatten as they cook.
Bake 10-12 minutes, until edges are set and just BARELY beginning to brown, but centers are still soft and puffy. The cookies should look raw between the cracks and seem underdone. If you overcook these, they will become dry and crispy. Fail.
Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.  Makes about 2 dozen 3-4 inch cookies.
**Thanks Our Best Bites for making part of my cooking dream come true!
Any heirloom recipes out there you'd like to share? Any hints on hunting for keepers in a sea of thousands of Pinterest recipes?

3 comments:

  1. How much salt?
    And put butter on it's own line please!
    We are trying these right now. I don't have shortening or white flour in the house, so they'll be a little healthy as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Updated. Thanks! :)

      What are you using instead of vegetable shortening? I read in America's Test Kitchen that butter makes things crispy and shortening makes them chewy .. you have been warned!

      Delete
  2. I used coconut oil instead of the shortening. I find coconut oil tends to make things a little crumbly. These were not noticeably crumbly but maybe they would have been even better texture with the shortening? I don't know.

    They needed less than 10 minutes of baking time for us but were quite tasty.

    For the flour I used a soft white wheat pastry flour...It is not whole-wheaty tasting.

    Toby saw giant snickerdoodles at a store the other day and I promised him we could make them so this came at the perfect time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...