Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hammer & Thread


One of my favorite places to shop online (besides Target, obviously) is Etsy. If you haven't been there before, Etsy describes themself an online community of people selling handmade or vintage items. As an etsy-lover, I would say that things for sale range from embarassing-craft-sale to one-of-a-kind high end items that I can't afford. I am resisting the urge to link any "embarassing-craft-sale" items because I am trying to be less mean.

This past winter my parents became empty nesters and started their own Etsy shop, Hammer & Thread. There may be a connection between those events. My dad is the woodworker, and my mom is the seamstress. I'm the knitter ... with nothing listed right now! Heather-made items will be up for Christmas; July isn't exactly knit-wear season. Here are some of my favorites from Hammer & Thread's current items for sale:

Heartland Strategy Board Game

Upcycled Step Stool
(Made from High School Bleachers)



Dutch Shuffleboard

Girls Dress 9-12 mo.














Another cool feature on Etsy is the treasuries -- These are basically collections of related things that you like, and is a fun way to browse through different shops. Anyone can make a treasury, and many treasuries are public, meaning others can look through your lists. Here are some of my favorite finds:

Go Green Home Products
For All your Pregnant Friends
For Little Girls
For Little Boys
Creative Playtime

Since helping my parents start their Etsy shop and spending a little more time on the site, I've found that I'm more inclined to do my own shopping for home products, gifts, and project ideas using Etsy. I've bought everything from screen printed kitchen towels to Iowa artwork to organic body butter and bridesmaids gifts. There's something special about buying a product directly from the person who made it!

Anyone else have an Etsy shop I should check out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...