Monday, September 23, 2013

Fiddle Leaf Fig

On my weekly cleaning schedule, Monday says "water house plants." On Mondays lately I have been thinking ... I don't have any house plants! Problem solved.

One Fiddle Leaf Fig, courtesy of Amazon. Ficus Lyrata is its official name. It came protected in a box of packing peanuts and looked healthy right away, unlike other "plants" I have bought over the internet.


The label says it can grow 15-20 feet tall. FEET! I re-potted it in a 7" ceramic pot I picked up at Lowe's for $2.50. The growing instructions tell me that it likes sun, and that I am only to water it when dry.


I am curious how fast it will grow! I am hoping it turns into something tall and beautiful, like this one over at Making It Lovely:

source
Currently, it's living on top of our piano in the living room. It doesn't get much (any) sun there, so I'm looking for a better spot.

fiddle leaf fig plant, yellow forsythia, framed photos decorating piano

Part of the reason we had zero house plants -- besides our moving every 5 months for the last 2 years -- is that Millie, our cat, likes to dig in dirt and chew leaves. Good luck, baby fiddle leaf fig. I cannot protect you during the work day. May the odds be ever in your favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...