Thursday, April 19, 2007

Things I Expect Not To See In Heaven: Bike Locks




I have a problem. Remember the missing bike lock? So the next day I spent most of my blank brain time in class hoping that my unlocked bike wasn't getting stuck in a tree somewhere.

It gets better after that -- I randomly asked some guy if he had stolen my bike lock. "Uh... no.. but there's one in my room." His roommate had it!!! So tonight I went over there to get it back. Good Samaritan lock-picker-upper said he had changed the combination (which I wasn't aware was a possibility) but he told me how to change it back. However... for some reason after I changed the combination I can't get it to open AT ALL!!

There are four digits to spin around. So I started with 9999 and was counting down. Then I figured I must have at least had the first number as a 4, so I started counting up from 4000. I'm up to 4716! And... with each wrong combination I try, the probability goes up that the next number will be the correct combination. So not only have I found an occupation for all my spare time (and anyone else who knows how to count backwards), I've also found some inspiration for my lovely roommate to finish her lesson plan about probability. That's the best I can come up with for eternal optimism right now...sorry. I'm tired.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:05 pm

    Wow, you're having bike lock trouble too, yeah? I still haven't figured out my bike lock combination, unfortunately... I went to buy a new one, but I rejected all bike locks from Walmart.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:27 pm

    I remembered the bike lock combination! Huzzah! I don't remember if I told you, but I thought I'd just keep you informed... :)

    Claire

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...