Friday, October 05, 2012

One Month of Less: Day 5: Knit a Rolled Brim Baby Hat with PomPon


Last football season, I learned to knit. (I use the term "learned" loosely). My main instructor was Knittinghelp.com, and I thought I was going to make a scarf. I did make about 7 inches of scarf before finally admitting that I picked a pattern that was too challenging. Or as my husband put it, "If you were Laura Ingalls, we would all freeze."

I unravelled the scarf and moved on. This baby hat pattern from a friend who works as a nurse in the NICU and cranks these out on a regular basis for her tiny patients.

I like this pattern because there is very little stitch-counting involved. The only stitches you need to know how to do are casting on and knitting! (Again, knittinghelp.com). The circular needle is what makes this pattern so easy, and allows you to get the stockinette stitch look without every having to purl. I hate purl. It slows me down. It takes me about 2-3 hours to make one hat, depending on if I am trying to talk or watch a movie at the same time.

Knitted Rolled Brim Baby Hat with PomPon


Sizing:
  • Made for 13.5" head circumference
Materials:
  • size 6 circular needle, small length. (Mine is about 14" from Hancock Fabric -- don't buy the really long circular needles.)
  • Yarn: I have been using cotton or wool for a nice soft hat. The striped hat above is made with a cotton variegated yarn found at Walmart.
Gauge:
  • In stockinette stitch, 18 sts = approx 4"
Hat:
  • Cast on 60 sts. Join.
  • Knit until your hat is 5" tall
  • 1st Decrease round: (Place a marker at the beginning of this round. I use my wedding ring) K2, K2together. Repeat this pattern for the rest of the round (45 stitches). Replace round marker, knit 1 round (45 stitches).
  • 2nd Decrease round: (Place marker at beginning of this round). K1, K2together. Repeat this pattern for the rest of the round (30 stitches). Replace round marker, knit 1 round (30 stitches.)
  • 3rd Decrease Round: (Place marker at beginning of this round). K2together. Repeat this pattern for the rest of the round (15 stitches). Replace round marker, knit 1 round (15 stitches)
  • Thread yarn through last 15 stitches and pull tight.
PomPon:
  • Wrap yarn around a 1.25" piece of cardboard about 150 times. Tie one end and cut other. Sew pompon on top of hat.
I sell these hats on Etsy, but also like to have them on hand to for handmade (heartfelt/inexpensive) gifts to friends with babies. If I was Laura Ingalls, my husband would still freeze... but we could have about 30 warm headed children!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...